Search This Blog and the Web

Thursday, February 2, 2012

First Light


A 59 degree day in February gives cabin fever a whole new meaning. So today I unwrapped my Scamp and ventured inside to begin the installation of the new LED lights. Part one is simple enough, replace the two existing OEM incandescant fixtures with the new LED ones. The OEM lights are riveted onto the fibeglass cabinet above the sink and stove. It became a matter of drilling out the old rivets and replacing with the new. Finding long rivets is a problem. The Home Center had a fairly limited choice.  The longest I could find was 1/2" and that required me to drill new mounting holes on the LED lights. The built in holes would requre a much longer rivet. The new fixture is taller than the old, but not as wide, so that leaves two holes visible from the old rivets. As of now I will leave them but I hope to find some little caps or plugs. Oh, by the way I wasn't able to test these new lights. I still have no battery. but am thinking of the Exide 34X. Seems to be a good compromise. it is an AGM, deep cycle multi-duty, and at around $150.00 fits my target price.



2 comments:

  1. Nice lights! Speaking of rivets, I was able to find a good selection of longer rivets at my local construction supply warehouse, a place that sells industrial fasteners and such. They thought it was kind of funny to sell me just a half-dozen or so instead of a whole case :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The original old fixture shown above is for sale on ebay.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scamp-Camper-RV-OEM-12v-light-fixture-Reflect-o-lite-540-/300670698661?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item46015ec4a5

    ReplyDelete