Search This Blog and the Web

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Event Planning

I'm a big fan of Bob Thomson's book The New Victory Garden. In it he displays a child-like enthusiasm waiting in the early weeks of January for the seed catalogs to arrive so he can start planning his garden. When they arrive he sits and sorts and plots and plans until his entire garden is completely planted in his head. He knows to the day when he will be able to pick that first tomato.

Up until now however I have not a big fan of planning ahead. The only thing that for me is certain is an annual August  camping trip that must be reserved in February. Other than that I wake up on a Saturday morning, look at the club calendar and decide what to do that weekend. Since the Scamp I have started to change it up a bit. I have been looking deeper into the calander, several months in advance, planning which events I will attend, which will require camping overnight, and starting to look at campsites in the area of the event.

Yesterday I learned that what would have been my first camping friendly event this year may be cancelled. Bummer.  I learned this from a couple who were also planning to bring their new camper to the event. So we started to plan alternatives, and that got me thinking, why not plan my own camping events? There's plenty of State parks in New England with plenty of available spaces. So I jumped on the ReserveAmerica Web site and picked a few choice weekends in the Spring. My garden may suffer this year, but the Scamp will get used as often as possible regardless of cancelled events.

I also found out that the New England RV Dealers Association's Boston RV & Camping Expo will be next weekend, February 2-5, 2012 at the Seaport World Trade Center - Boston, MA. I went last year, and though there were no Fiberglass eggs on display I did get a ton of information about campgrounds in New England. Each state was represented, and all had nice guidebooks available for the asking. The guidebooks not only list state parks but private campgrounds, attractions, restaurants and some events and festivals that occur annually.

1 comment:

  1. FYI and I'm not sure how many this applies to, but I just tried to reserve two spots at the same time at Nickerson State park in Massachusettt, and the ReserveAmerica.com site said I can only reserve one site per day per user account. I don't know if this is a park policy or a ReserveAmerica policy. Sites are so few that I was trying to get one for myself, and another for a friend. At exactly 9:00 I was able to start the process, found two adjoining sites, but was only able to reserve one. Boo! Not everyone can be on-line at exactly 9:00. Some people work.

    ReplyDelete