Search This Blog and the Web

Friday, January 13, 2012

Through the roof

So I've determined that all of these side cabinets mentioned in a previous post are home made. For the 13 foot model Scamp only ever made a rear cabinet over the dinette, and a front cabinet that hangs over the bunk beds*. I think the one over the bunks would be a bit intrusive on headroom. The Over the dinette cabinet can be ordered from Scamp for $150.00 and about the same in shipping costs. A number of people have just put up an open shelf, often matching measurements of certain accessories or games that they want to store there.  I think I am going to explore that option. In my mind I envision a place to get stuff off of the table when it comes time to make up the bed. My major concern is properly supporting the shelf. Remember the Scamp is nothing more than a fiberglass shell. No wooden frame exists to screw things into. All additions would require drilling through the fiberglass and either bolting or riveting. I imagine the shelf would have to be supported from above. That means drilling through the roof. Something I am not looking forward to.

Another project is a folding countertop extension. Looking at adding about 18" of countertop next to the stove. this would be hanging over the lower bunk.  This too would have to be mounted directly on the fiberglass cabinet. So I'd need to figure out how best to support a folding bracket or hinges.

I'd appreciate any comments from anyone with experience with fiberglass (campers or boats)


* UPDATE: Apparently some models of the 13 come with back and side upper cabinets ( over the dining/bed area.

9 comments:

  1. I have a folding extension on my cabinet by the stove. It folds down for travel and up for cooking. It is a simple hinge arrangement available at home improvement type stores and is meant for home cabinets but is effective for a 13'Scamp like mine. It is the hinge only, but just buy a small cutting board for the top : lots of sizes are available and it has a finished look.
    About backing up, yes short trailers are hard to back. I used to drive 40 ft semis and they react slowly. A 13' Scamp jacknifes quickly, but backing can be done. I back my utility trailer and my Scamp down my steep 150 ft curving driveway because turnaround is difficult. Sometimes I do it many times a day or even at night, with Julie walking behind me with a flashlight. The trick is practice, and to SLOW DOWN !! People say Scamps jacknife quickly. They can't at SLOOOOOW speeds!!David in Fresno and Sonora

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/user/kevinhenry61
    Go to this and watch as many or all of his videos. His trailers are bolers, but the idea is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, any way you can post a photo?

    "I have a folding extension on my cabinet by the stove. It folds down for travel and up for cooking. It is a simple hinge arrangement available at home improvement type stores and is meant for home cabinets..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is for a rear cabinet:

    http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&p=203275

    Also, here is a thread on making your own upper cabinets:

    http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...mp;#entry303125

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heres a link to a great PDF about building your own cabinets. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17715&d=1233445139 This project is a bit more ambitious than I want, and look a bit heavier than I prefer. However the method deserves a look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first time i visit here and I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially it's discussion, thank you. acquisto camper con finanziamento

    ReplyDelete
  7. We should invest in the protection of our home more than anything else, including our couvreur Chantilly system. This article talks about how to find the best roofer if you would be needing any repairs or maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today many residential roofers can also build green roofs. I couldn't be happier with the residential roofer that knew how to do green roofs; now I got a great family retreat and huge tax breaks. Nashville Roofers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nashville roofing, remodeling, & home repairs. Your one stop shop for everything you need for your home. Our team of experienced professionals can do it all. how long do flat roofs last?

    ReplyDelete