Search This Blog and the Web

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Opening day!

Nothing is more exciting than opening day. Whether it be baseball season or hockey season or camping season, opening day is often a rush. Rush to get tickets, rush to get a campsite.

I will be camping in August. I know that because I had to make reservations in February. My June trip will be booked this week, but a friend tells tales of calling at least 50 times on opening day for reservations at the same campground! Which brings me to my topic. With all the internet possibilities, and services like http://www.Reserveamerica.com, why is it that some campgrounds still do things the old fashioned way? The campground in question is run by the town where it is located. You can even go to the town's Web site and see all sorts of information about the campground, (however, oddly, there is no site map), such as hours of operation, phone numbers and even their AOL email address... Ah there's the problem. Is AOL even still in business?

The only way to make a reservation is the following:
1. Call the campground during business hours.
2. Mail a deposit check.
3. wait for confirmation in the mail.

While it has never happened to me, they truly will not confirm the reservation until they receive the check. They do not take credit cards.

As I said this method has always worked, but what if you are in the middle of a road trip? You are hundreds of miles away from your mailbox, and you want to make a reservation??

Let's fix this. If you run into a similar situation let them know this is the 21st century, let them know about ReserveAmerica.com or the KOA. Maybe they are not aware of the options out there.

UPDATE: due to their luddite ways I was shocked to find out that they had moved me from my reserved spot, which was near friends and away from the bath house, to a spot right next to the bath house. When I was signing in I assured them that I would not have reserved that site. They insisted I did... NOT. I later found a confirmation that I had in fact reserved the site I wanted.

Has any campground intentionally changed your reservations without notice?

No comments:

Post a Comment