Search This Blog and the Web

Friday, January 6, 2012

The People's Camper

Now that I have been on my first night I have started to see some of the issues involved with owning a 1987 camper. Age is always a factor when it comes to older cars or campers. In some cases parts can only be obtained in junk yards. But where does one find a junk yard for fiberglass campers?  By way of history this is not the first old moving thing I have owned. My first car was a powder blue and primer grey 1970 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible. My mother has been quoted to say that all she ever saw of that car was my ass. I had my head inside the engine compartment more than I drove it. But it was a Volkswagen, and aided by John Muir's book "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" I felt that there was nothing not fixable. The Ghia was basically a dolled up VW Beetle. Many of the mechanical bits were the same as the Bug, and were easy to find as they often spanned many model years.

In a way I have come to see the Scamp as the Volkswagen of RVs. The 1987 model isn't that much different than the 2011 model. I can go on-line or call the factory and order everything from body parts to interior accessories. I can even order a complete toilet and shower kit. This lessens the fear factor when attempting repairs or modifications. I have already had to order a new inside door handle and rubber gaskets for the door. I was just about to order the propane tank hold downs until the guy I bought the Scamp from called and said he found them in his garage. I've talked with the factory reps about ordering and installing additional overhead cabinets. Initially I wanted another cabinet to mount over the dinette at the rear of the camper, but just yesterday I saw a photo of an additional side mounted cabinet. I need to do some research to see if this was available for the 13'. It may have only been for the 16' or19'. Or I could just call the factory.

3 comments:

  1. Here's a link to a discussion with pictures about adding or modifying Scamp and Boler cabinets. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/scamp-upper-cabinets-questions-40107-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a 1985 Scamp 13 from Craigslist a couple years ago. I'm grateful I only had to drive 30 minutes to get it! It's nice they haven't changed much over time as I've had a few orders to the factory for some replacement items. A tip I've heard about it that if you call and place your order rather than ordering online the shipping for whatever reason is cheaper. Good luck with your restoration. Luckily ours had quite a few upgrades and was in great shape for her age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually the Scamp is in excellent shape. New cushions and newly shampooed ratfur. The modifications I plan and the few missing items like the 12 volt system are all that need be done.

    ReplyDelete