Search This Blog and the Web

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Some assembly required

As the title states, some assembly required. I am in the process of assembling the bits and pieces that I need to update or replace old or outdated, or even missing items.

My first goal was to reinvigorate the propane system and install a new two burner cooktop. I found one on eBay for only $36.00, and it looked suitable. It fit right in the empty hole from the missing cooktop. I then needed a new propane regulator, and finding one wasn't as easy. You see the problem is I am cheap. Some people may say frugal, but I am just cheap. I went to the local RV dealer, only 52 miles away, and looked over their "Giant closeout sale" that did not include any of the stuff I needed. Their two stage propane regulator was around $70.00, so I thought surely I can find one cheaper. Amazon had one for $16.70, they also suggested that I purchase a regulator to tank hose. Only problem was the two did not fit. The regulator had a flare connector and the hose had a NPT connector. NEWSFLASH! NPT stands for Normal Pipe Thread. A quick trip to the Home Dept plumbing department turned up nothing that would convert these to fit each other. Luckily Amazon returns run smoothly and they soon replaced the hose with a proper one with a flare connection. Now I'm cooking with gas.

Here's a bunch of stuff that I have purchased so far. I still need a deep cycle battery, and a AC to DC converter/charger. I guess RVers call that a Power Center.


LED lights for the yet to be reinstalled 12V system. Including two singles to replace existing fixtures, and a new double dome. The Scamp currently does not have any overhead lighting. Talk about cheap, these were only $15.00 and $19.00

A double 12V cigarette lighter style socket that will be mounted into the cabinet ( somewhere yet to be determined). I purchased this at a local marine supply store.

A 400 watt DC to AC inverter. This too will be mounted so that I can easily access it. It has two 110V plugs and a single USB plug. It will be wired directly to the battery...when I get one of those. I'm hoping that this will be adequate for the few times I would need to briefly run 110V stuff when not attached to shore power. I do however find myself flirting with the better endowed 700 watt inverters.

2 comments:

  1. Nice light fixtures. LEDs draw the least power so an excellent choice for boondocking. Stock 12V lights draw 1.5A compared to ~0.1A. Your battery will thank you if you use lights a lot when dry camping. I also found that an LED bulb in my porch light doesn't seem to attract bugs; wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found the LED lights on eBay from two different sellers. Would love to find anLED porch fixture.
    http://myworld.ebay.com/randpcarriages/&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754
    and
    http://myworld.ebay.com/aascott01/&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754

    ReplyDelete