Search This Blog and the Web

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

When in Rome

Plate and cash in hand I set off to meet the seller who was returning from his last weekend with the Scamp at a group meet in upstate NY. Although he lived another hour west we agreed to meet in Rome as it was on his way home and would save me two hours. I chose a Walmart parking lot just in case there were any last minute trailer related purchases.

Up to this point I had NEVER been inside one of these little egg campers. I'd seen many of them on the road or in campgrounds, and I'd seen many photos of the interiors, but never been inside one. In fact my last experience with any RV had been sleeping in my uncle Bill's converted school bus with about 12 kids ( his 8, my family's 4, and maybe a few others) when I was about 12 years old.

A visual inspection and a brief tutorial were offered by the seller, and the transaction was done. I put my plate on the Scamp, hitched up and was off. Well, off to the nearest Harbour Freight Hardware store. I decided that since the trailer was going to be stored at my mother's house, and that I would have to cross her lawn that I would buy a trailer dolly rather than drive my car across the lawn. The dolly will also come in handy maneuvering the Scamp around campsites. I have yet to learn how to back up with a trailer attached.

Finally it is mine. BTW I am pulling it with a 4cylinder Hyundai Tucson with a manual transmission. The Scamp only weighs 950 lbs. (dry)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm a new Scamp owner and dreading backing into my first campsite coming up soon.Did you get this trailer dolly you linked to and did it work as you expected ? Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Yes I did, and it worked out great. The dolly states that it is rated to 600 lbs, but I think that refers to tongue weight. Remember the Scamp is only 65 to 85lbs at the tongue. I would have to say that this works fine on level ground. or a slight, very slight grade. You are pulling or pushing a 1000lbs, and it can get away from you quickly on a grade. I store it inside the camper when not camping, and while hauling, and just lay it down behind the camper while at the campsite.

    ReplyDelete